|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Summer, Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Certificate|
The Pre–Business program will help you develop the business skills and knowledge you’ll need for an entry–level job. You’ll have a solid foundation in business and a better understanding of its different areas. After successfully completing the program, you’ll also be eligible to enrol in a number of diploma programs, including General Business, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Management, Marketing, Retail, Purchasing and Supply, Insurance, International Business or Human Resources.
Program Learning Outcomes:
This Seneca College program meets the system-wide standards as set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Recognize the economic, social, political, and cultural variables which impact a business.
- Apply knowledge of the marketing function to the operation of an organization.
- Apply accounting and financial knowledge to the operation of an organization.
- Apply computer skills and knowledge of information technology to support the management of an organization.
- Work effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and others.
- Understand the basic general concept of business organization and functions.
- Use a variety of college level communication skills both written and verbal.
- Have acquired the academic preparedness and prerequisites required for entry into a college level business program.
- Have a fundamental understanding of the mathematical concepts needed to study college level mathematics courses.
- Develop customer-service strategies to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
Essential Employability Skills:
Graduates of this program are also expected to demonstrate the essential employability skills learning outcomes as outlined on the Ministry of Training, College and Universities website.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with:
- Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U)
- Grade 12 Mathematics: (C) or (U) or Grade 11 Mathematics: (C) or (M)
- OR Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with the above prerequisite course(s), their equivalent(s), or appropriate Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate program credits (see Academic Upgrading).
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well–organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
Start your career with a focus on business. The two-semester Pre-Business program allows you to experience college while exploring different business functions like marketing and accounting. When you graduate, you’ll have the foundational business skills that will allow you to pursue an entry-level job in the workforce. You can also choose to continue your education with a business diploma program in an area of business that interests you.
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant semester.
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ACC103||Pre-Business Accounting I||4|
|BUS107||Business Foundations 1||4|
|English and Communication
|ISC100||Introduction to Seneca Studies||2|
|QNM103||Mathematics for Business||4|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ACC104||Pre-Business Accounting II||3|
|BUS108||Business Foundations II||3|
|QNM104||Mathematics for Finance||4|
|SMS202||Microcomputer Business Applications II||3|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Margaret Lim
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22806
|International Admissions Advisor:||Simona Cojanu
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22758
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22462
|Student Advisor:||Lisa Ballantyne
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 26216
|Program Coordinator:||Debi Tziatis
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 26045
|Program Chair:||Chris Dudley
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22386