Pre-Media (Media and Communications Fundamentals)
|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Certificate|
Within the MFD program, you’ll develop a strong foundation in the fundamentals of writing, communications and visual media. Your studies will focus on developing and perfecting verbal, written, presentation and visual communication skills. You’ll learn presentation skills, media writing, creative problem solving, photography, design fundamentals and media as an art form. You’ll grow and improve as an effective communicator through study of professional and general education subjects. Instructors in this program are industry experts and college education professionals. You’ll also benefit from the opportunity to explore a variety of options in the ever–evolving media and communication fields within the Schools of Media and Creative Arts and Animation.
A better understanding of self will provide the opportunity for you to understand your path and possibilities and, in turn, make an informed start for your scholastic career.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with:
- Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U)
- OR Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with the above prerequisite course(s), their equivalent(s), or appropriate Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate program credits (see Academic Upgrading).
- Pre-Admissions English test- Cost $55 (view English Practice Test).
- Applicant profile
- Applicants will be invited to attend an orientation where they will complete the Pre-Admissions English test and general knowledge test and submit an applicant profile.
- Applicants will be ranked based on the strength of their Pre-Admissions English test, general knowledge test and applicant profile.
- Admission to this program is competitive. Only the top ranked applicants will be offered a seat in the program.
If you are applying to this program for Fall 2015:
- Applicants who have completed English Grade 12 C or U with an acceptable grade will be exempt from the $55 pre-admissions test.
- Applicants who are enrolled in a Grade 12 C or U course and who achieved an acceptable grade 11 mark are also exempt.
- Mature applicants who have not submitted transcripts will be advised of where and how to book the pre-admission test.
All applicants will still be required to attend a program orientation and complete a program-related assignment. Orientation dates and locations will be mailed.
- Although not required for admission, the following are recommended for your success in the program:
- Basic computer skills (PC or Macintosh) including office software.
Gain a solid foundation in media and communications. Our two-semester Pre-Media (Media and Communications Fundamentals) (MFD) certificate program is your best preparation for finding scholastic and career direction and for further study in Communication Arts. As a graduate of MFD, you’ll be equipped for programs leading to careers such as junior writer or editor, production assistant, account co-ordinator, client liaison or production artist.
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant term.
Please select the curriculum from the Academic Year in which you started (or will be starting) your studies. An Academic Year begins in September and ends in August of the following year.
|2014/2015 Academic Year|
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|MFD104||Surviving and Succeeding||2|
|MFD105||Introduction to Design||3|
|MFD107||Audio and Video Story Telling||2|
|MFD115||Storytelling Through Photography||3|
|PSY204||Perception and Communication||3|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|MFD203||Media and Communications||2|
|MFD204||Professional Presentation Skills||3|
|MFD205||Electronic and Print Publishing||3|
|MFD215||Visual Problem Solving||2|
|SCA201||Media as an Art Form||3|
|SCA225||Creativity and New Media||3|
|XXXXXX||General Education Option||3|
Note: Graduation from the Pre–Media program is not a guarantee of acceptance into the School of Media and Marketing or Creative Arts and Animation diploma programs.
|2015/2016 Academic Year|
|Introduction to Computers and Applications|
|Surviving and Succeeding|
|Introduction to Design|
|Audio and Video Storytelling|
|Storytelling Through Photography|
|Perception and Communication|
|Media and Communications|
|Professional Presentation Skills|
|Electronic & Print Publishing|
|Visual Problem Solving|
|Media as an Art Form|
|Creativity & New Media|
|General Education Option|
Note: Graduation from the Pre–Media program is not a guarantee of acceptance into the School of Media or Creative Arts and Animation diploma programs.
|For more information, please visit: http://sca.senecac.on.ca.|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22840
|International Admissions Advisor:||Julie Leong
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22380
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33008
|Program Coordinator:||Suzanne Price
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33192
|Program Acting Chair:||Michael Maynard
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33335