Law Clerk (Accelerated)
|Duration:||3 Semesters (13 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Diploma|
As a student, you’ll train to become a law clerk, assisting lawyers in private law offices and in the law departments of government and industry. You’ll acquire an understanding of the general principles of law and receive specific training in the skills appropriate for law clerks. Areas of concentration include Real Estate, Corporate and Commercial Law and Litigation.
Required Keyboarding Speeds:
- 30 w.p.m. (net) at the end of first semester
- 45 w.p.m. (net) at the end of second semester
- 50 w.p.m. (net) for graduation
Program Learning Outcomes:
This Seneca College program meets the system-wide standards as set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, using accurate legal terminology.
- Apply time management and organizational skills to meet the time lines and limitation periods within a legal environment.
- Assist in advocacy procedures in courtroom and tribunal appearances.
- Utilize information technology resources and skills appropriately within the legal environment.
- Employ knowledge of substantive law within the role of the law clerk.
- Employ knowledge of legal procedures within the role of the law clerk.
- Adhere to the legal profession's principles of ethics and conduct.
- Contribute to preliminary research of legal information, using traditional and electronic resources.
- Use office skills to support the operation of a legal office.
- Develop strategies for ongoing professional development to enhance competence.
Essential Employability Skills:
Graduates of this program are also expected to demonstrate the essential employability skills learning outcomes as outlined on the Ministry of Training, College and Universities website.
- Substantial completion of a recognized degree or completion of a post secondary diploma from an accredited institution.
- Students with credentials from a foreign institution must be evaluated course by course through WES or ICAS.
- Academic equivalents for four general education credits and for EAC150.
- English proficiency at the college level.
- See Accelerated Delivery Mode Section.
- Students are required to be highly literate in the English language with good writing and analytical skills to be successful in this accelerated program. Applicant selection may include the assessment of English skills/proficiency.
- Although not required for admission, a high degree of computer literacy and keyboarding skills at 35 w.p.m. are considered assets.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well–organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
Accelerate your diploma. Earn your Law Clerk diploma in just three semesters and be prepared for a career as a law clerk or legal assistant in a wide range of law office environments. Major employers include small to large law firms, governments and corporate law departments.
This is an accelerated program (LCKA) for students who have already graduated with a degree or post secondary diploma.
(The standard program is LCK.)
Accelerated Delivery Mode
The accelerated version of the regular, four–semester diploma program is designed for students who can demonstrate that they have previously achieved the academic equivalents of four general education credits and EAC 150. This allows the completion of the professional courses in the curriculum over a period of three semesters instead of the four that constitute the regular LCK program.
Successfully complete our Law Clerk program and you'll be eligible for membership as an Ordinary Member in the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario, and you may apply for membership as an Associate Member after having worked for three years without having to write the Associate's examination(s).
Meet all necessary academic requirements, and you will have the opportunity to participate in a four–week unpaid field placement for practical experience following the end of final exams in third semester. This component of the program provides you with practical work experience and exposure to potential employers. You may have a shared responsibility for securing a placement.
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant semester.
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ICA001||Introduction to Computers and Applications||2|
|LGL116||Torts and Criminal Law||2|
|LGL121||Introduction to the Legal System for LCKA||2|
|LGL411||Legal Research and Writing||3|
|LXR216||Real Estate I||3|
|LXY122||Automated Law Office for LCKA||2|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|LXC212||Corporate and Commercial Law I||3|
|LXM211||Family Law I||3|
|LXR326||Computer Applications for Real Estate||2|
|LXR336||Real Estate Law II||3|
|LXY234||Legal Document Production I||3|
|LXY324||Legal Documents II||3|
|Semester 3||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|LXC312||Corporate and Commercial Law II||3|
|LXJ432||Debtor Creditor Law||4|
|LXM322||Family Law II||3|
|LXY426||Legal Document Production III||3|
|FPL330||Field Placement I|
|FPL430||Field Placement II|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Shanda Reid
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22805
|International Admissions Advisor:||Valentyna Gorodovych
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22432
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
|Registration & Records Advisor:||Randy Ramnanan
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22460
|Program Coordinator:||JoAnn Kurtz
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22811
|Program Chair:||Wanda Forsythe
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22745
“The Accelerated Law Clerk program at Seneca College has a great deal to offer university graduates like myself. The faculty members are knowledgeable individuals with experience in the legal profession, and their courses provide a useful combination of substantive knowledge and practical skill development. This program, which offers students a unique opportunity to gain the hands–on learning that will complement their academic background, gives the students a definite advantage in today's highly competitive job market.”