Event Management - Event and Exhibit Design
|Duration:||2 semesters (1 Year)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
The Event Management program at Seneca is unique within Ontario in that it will provide you with a specialization in design for the event and exhibit industry (galas, festivals, parades, and trade shows). Aimed at giving you the necessary breadth and depth of knowledge, you will learn analysis, planning, budgeting, sourcing, and creation of décor, props and visuals for events and exhibits. You will benefit from industry professionals who have designed the curriculum and deliver it from a practical perspective. They bring their many years of experience in design, special events, and exhibit management to assist you in getting the education you need to succeed in a competitive and growing industry.
You'll learn to:
- Apply the principles of marketing and research to events and exhibits;
- Analyze, synthesize, develop and design the necessary elements for events and exhibits;
- Plan, execute and evaluate the installation of events and exhibits;
- Analyze and develop promotional materials that consistently deliver key messages;
- Develop and implement financial initiatives based on event/exhibit objectives through methods such as sponsorship programs, grant applications, and fund–raising initiatives;
- Develop, install and co–ordinate effective site and facility operations;
- Evaluate and apply strategies for effective human resource management related to the installation of events and exhibits;
- Apply accounting and financial knowledge and skills to the installation of events and exhibits;
- Apply business administration skills to the installation of events and exhibits;
- Evaluate and apply industry professional standards, legislative requirements and ethical principles to event and exhibit management.
- A recognized degree or post secondary diploma from an accredited institution; OR
- Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with 3 to 5 years of documented work experience preferably in Visual Merchandising Arts, Fashion Design, Interior Design, Industrial Design, Graphic Design or equivalent. Relevant references must be provided.
- English proficiency at the college level.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of applied design.
- Hands–on experience with physical skills such as painting, sewing, cutting, and designing.
- Proficient with a computer, software and applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, and Internet.
- Applicants with a post secondary diploma, advanced diploma, or degree in a non–design discipline must submit a résumé, prepare a portfolio, and write a brief essay describing why they want to enroll in the program.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well-organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
Event Management is about creating experiences for clients, guests, event attendees, customers, and event organizers. Seneca’s Event Management program will help you start an exciting career as a Special Events Organizer, Trade Show Planner/Designer, Assistant Event Co–ordinator, Junior Exhibit/ Event Designer, Assistant Creative Director, or Festival Organizer.
Affiliations and Associations
- ISES (International Special Events Society)
- CSES (Canadian Special Events Society)
Diploma to Degree... and Beyond
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
|Davenport University||• Any relevant Bachelors or Master of Business Administration|
|Griffith University||• Master of Business |
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant semester.
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|BRP702||Event Financial Management||3|
|CLP702||Client Presentations I||3|
|EVT705||Behind the Scenes of Events||2|
|EVT760||Integrated Marketing Communications for Events||3|
|LOG702||Event Planning and Logistics I||4|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|CLP802||Client Presentations II||4|
|LOG803||Event Planning and Logistics II||3|
|EVT850||Behind the Scenes of Events II||3|
|EVT860||Festivals and Trade Shows||3|
|EVT880||Floral Design for Events||3|
|For more information, please visit our website at: www.senecacollege.ca/fashion.|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Maureen Massicot
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22014
|International Admissions Advisor:||Kevin Gumbs
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22489
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22465
|Program Coordinator:||John MacBride
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 26513
|Program Chair:||Gitte Hansen
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22160
"I have been in the visual merchandising and event design industry for over 40 years...and the special event industry for 20 years...To have a group of students with fresh young ideas and the education to use them properly would be something I would welcome."
"The Event Management – Exhibit and Design Program is at the forefront of education in the field, and is teaching students through theoretical and real world experiences the skills necessary to contribute to the future of our industry. With the pace of the events world, we need fresh, energetic ideas. Programs like this give students a much greater background than in the past and a leg up on their competition. We have had the pleasure of working both with and for new graduates who bring a refreshing energy and passion to their events, and have the skills and knowledge to back up that enthusiasm."
Chief Operating Officer, Decor & More Inc.
Highlights from Event Management: Event Exhibit and Design on flckr