Esthetics and Spa Therapies
|Duration:||6 Semesters (3 Years)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Advanced Diploma|
A leader in Esthetics education since 1990, Seneca's Esthetics and Spa Therapies program provides you with the training you need to perfect your services. Our dynamic curriculum and real–life experiences will allow you to gain the confidence you need through working with clients in "Evolutions", our on–campus spa.
The third year will prepare you to delve into more specialized and advanced services and therapies provided in the spa and medi–spa environment, and give you the opportunity to earn the globally recognized designation of a CIDESCO Esthetician.
Program Learning Outcomes:
This Seneca College program meets the system-wide standards as set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Evaluate, compare, select and perform a variety of specialized body and skin care treatments following correct procedures and precautions and supporting client needs (including and not limited to facials, manicures, pedicures, hair removal, and make up applications).
- Explain the principles and processes of chemistry and physics which impact upon the use and range of specialized equipment and products, in compliance with established national, provincial, industry, and other related standards, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Identify and distinguish among the structures and functions related to the anatomy, physiology, and histology of the skin and body for the purposes of diagnosing, problem solving and creating specialized esthetic treatments and services for identified client skin and body conditions.
- Adhere to health, safety, sanitation, and infection and prevention control guidelines, according to current legislation and national, provincial, municipal, and industry standards and regulations.
- Identify business skills and activities required for the successful establishment and operation of a small esthetic business in a salon or spa environment.
- Analyze, select and recommend the use of esthetic products and product ingredients to clients, taking into account health status and identified needs.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships in adherence to standards and ethics associated with the profession.
- Develop customer service strategies that meet and adapt to individual needs and expectations in accordance with professional standards and ethics.
- Determine professional development strategies that lead to the enhancement of work performance and career opportunities and keep pace with industry change.
- Compare, explain and perform the different medical as well as holistic therapies currently being offered in spas and distinguish among these for the most appropriate treatment for specific client concerns.
Essential Employability Skills:
Graduates of this program are also expected to demonstrate the essential employability skills learning outcomes as outlined on the Ministry of Training, College and Universities website.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with:
- Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U)
- OR Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with the above prerequisite course(s), their equivalent(s), or appropriate Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate program credits (see Academic Upgrading)
Required by Start of Program:
- Current medical report and report of chest x–ray or tuberculin skin test
- A valid Standard First Aid Certificate with Adult CPR (minimum 16 hours)
- Although not required for admission, a Senior Level Science Credit is considered an asset.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well–organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
The Spa business is rapidly growing in North America and around the world. The need for skilled professional Estheticians has never been higher. The beauty industry is booming as a result of increased demand from aging baby boomers, and a younger generation with a higher propensity for beauty treatments and enhancements. Seneca's Esthetics and Spa Therapies program will prepare you for an exciting and dynamic career as an Esthetician able to provide all services from manicures, pedicures, waxing and facials to advance spa, skin and body care treatments. As a graduate from this program you will also have the opportunity to take the International Esthetics licensing exam from CIDESCO making you a highly sought after esthetician.
Affiliations and Associations
- Ashgrove SPA
- Collega Inc. for Aveda & Civello
- Elizabeth Milan Esthetics
- Featuring You Spa
- International Pedicure Association (IPA)
- Leading Spas of Canada
- Skills Canada
- Sopar Cosmetics
- The Canadian Society of Professional Skin Care Specialists
- The Spa at the Old Mill
- Sanctuary Day Spas
The on–campus Evolutions Spa provides students with the time and opportunity to perfect their services and practice working with customers in a real–life spa.
One of the general education courses must be a literature course (from any category) for which EAC150 is a pre-requisite.
Diploma to Degree... and Beyond
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
Pathway from 2-year Diploma at Seneca and other Ontario Colleges
With your existing diploma in Esthetics, or directly related esthetics discipline and experience, you may qualify to fast track your studies and be given direct entry into the third year of the EAS program.
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant semester.
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ETC103||Hand Anatomy - Physiology and Care||3|
|ETC104||Foot Anatomy - Physiology and Care||4|
|ETC115||Skin Care I||5|
|SPM201||Spa Customer Service||3|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ETC216||Skin Care II||4|
|SPM200 *||Evolutions Spa||8|
|XXXXXX||General Education Option||3|
|Semester 3||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|EST560||Nutrition and Health||3|
|ETC310||Spa Treatments I||4|
|ETC317||Skin Care III||4|
|SPM300 *||Evolutions Spa||8|
|SPM301||Spa Management and Leadership||3|
|XXXXXX||General Education Option||3|
|Semester 4||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ETC313||Make-Up Techniques and Application||4|
|ETC410||Spa Treatments II||4|
|ETC418||Skin Care IV||4|
|SPM400 *||Evolutions Spa||8|
|XXXXXX||General Education Option||3|
|Semester 5||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|SPM502||Advanced Spa Treatments||4|
|SPM505||Holistic Esthetics Treatments||4|
|SPM508 **||Evolutions Spa||3|
|SPM511||Anatomy and Physiology||3|
|SPM513||Medical Esthetics I||4|
|SPM515||Spa Product Knowledge II||3|
|Semester 6||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|SPM602||Capstone Project Preparation||2|
|SPM608||Skin Analysis II||4|
|SPM605||Make Up Techniques II||4|
|SPM611||Advanced Anatomy and Physiology||3|
|SPM613||Medical Esthetics II||4|
* Students have eight clinic hours every other week.
** Students will have the flexibility to complete their SPA hours in either 5th or 6th semester in our on–campus spa or in a recognized esthetics spa off–campus, course to approval.
Note: Professional practice in the spa at the College is a required component of the program. A qualified esthetician will be on duty at all times to reinforce theory and to ensure professional standards are maintained.
|For more information, please visit our website at: www.senecacollege.ca/fashion.|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Maureen Massicot
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22014
|International Admissions Advisor:||Simona Cojanu
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22758
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22465
|Program Coordinator:||Ann Mariani
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 26209
|Program Chair:||Gitte Hansen
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22160
"I believe adding a 3rd year, and preparing students to take the internationally recognized CIDESCO exam, will be a benefit to your graduates, and to employers. Providing this additional training will only continue to support Seneca’s reputation as a leader in this field of education. Seneca has been a long–time educational leader in the field of Esthetics.”
President, Leading Spas of Canada
Highlights from Esthetics and Spa Therapies on flckr