|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
Specialize in 3D computer-based modeling and animation. As a student in the DAN program, you’ll use the latest in high-end computer workstations and learn the tools to problem solve, and to create finished portfolio projects using Maya animation software. This two-semester program allows you to focus your career on 3D animation.
- A recognized degree or post secondary diploma from an accredited institution in fine art, 2D/3D animation, photography, film/video, architecture, or graphic design; OR
- Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with 3 to 5 years of documented work experience in a related field. Relevant references must be provided.
- English proficiency at the college level.
- Applicants will be required to attend a mandatory arts based test and submit a visual arts based portfolio and resume. In the event of over-subscription, additional selection criteria may be used.
- Although not required for admission, the following are considered assets:
- A background in one or more of the following: visual arts background; classical animation; fine art; graphic design; architectural/engineering or computer graphics;
- Experience with Windows/NT operating systems;
- Additional experience with Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere, or any 3D program.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well-organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
The applicant selection is a two-step process. It is based on resume qualifications, portfolio, and completion of an on-site drawing test.
Step 1: A portfolio of specific drawings will be used to select applicants who will then advance to Step 2.
Once you apply to the program through www.ontariocolleges.ca, you will be sent a letter from admissions inviting you to submit a drawing portfolio and resume directly to the Animation Arts Centre.
A total of 14 traditional drawings, i.e. pencil, conte, ink, pastel or charcoal:
- six life drawings; must show entire body including head, hands and feet of subject in various poses
- two drawings of your own hand
- two object drawings; everyday items from around your house such as a kitchen appliance, coffee maker, can opener, TV remote, stapler, etc.
- two environment drawings; draw a two point perspective view of a room in your house from opposite corners, the horizon line should be at five (5) feet
- two drawings of your choice; choose your best two drawings
All artwork should be photocopied on 8 ½" x 11" paper. No original artwork please. After your portfolio has been assessed it will be destroyed, and cannot be returned to you. Do not staple or bind your drawings together in any way, and please ensure your name and student number is included on the back of every drawing you submit. Please do not include a cover letter with your artwork.
Portfolios will continue to be accepted until the class is full. You are encouraged to apply and submit your portfolio early to be assured due consideration. We recommend the following portfolio submission deadlines:
- No later than June 30th for the September/Fall semester
- No later than October 31st for the January/Winter semester
Step 2: Completion of an on-site drawing test.
Applicants who are unsuccessful in Step 1 will be notified by mail, and will not be included in Step 2 of the selection process.
If your portfolio is short listed for possible admission into the program, you will be contacted by a representative of the Animation Arts Centre to schedule an on-campus 30-minute drawing test. We will endeavor to schedule the test at a time of your convenience, ideally within one week of portfolio review.
During your visit you will have a chance to tour the animation labs and facilities.
Our graduates are in high demand in this rapidly expanding field of film entertainment, television, gaming, forensics, interior design, and industrial design. With your graduate certificate in 3D Animation, you’ll find exciting career opportunities as a digital animator, modeler, character rigger, and 3D painting/ texturing and lighting specialist.
Diploma to Degree... and Beyond
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
|Davenport University||• Any relevant Bachelors or Master of Business Administration|
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|ACT351||Acting for Animators||2|
|MAY721||Modeling 1 - Concepts||3|
|MAY740||Lighting, Texturing and Rendering||3|
|MGL102||Life Drawing I||4|
|STR121||Storyboarding - Film Principles||2|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|DGT471||Advanced Digital Tools||3|
|MAY823||Lighting and Rendering||3|
|MAY824||Advanced Character Animation||3|
|MGL202||Life Drawing II||4|
|For more information, please visit our website http://sca.senecac.on.ca.
For general inquiries and to arrange a tour, please call (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33850.
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Margita Petersons
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22804
|International Admissions Advisor:||Gina Lombardi
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22405
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33008
|Program Coordinator:||Sean Craig
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33615
|Program Chair:||Mark Jones
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33488
Rob Silvestri's star has continued to rise since graduating from Seneca’s 3D animation program thanks to a pig named Ormie.
Seneca's award-winning Animation Arts Centre teaches 2D and 3D animation, game art and design and visual effects for film and television. It also partners with leading animators like Academy Award winner Chris Landreth, working on their latest projects. Video